Tyldesley Swimming & Water Polo Club Since 1876
Tyldesley is a small town in the Metropolitan Borough of Wigan in Greater Manchester and the County of Lancashire.
Tyldesley Swimming and Water Polo Club is one of the oldest and most respected Swimming and Water Polo Clubs in the country, in fact it is believed that Tyldesley is the second oldest continuously running club in England having been formed in 1876.
Local History of Tyldesley
Though little is known of the town of Tyldesley’s early history. Tyldesley with Shakerley formed part of five other districts of the very extensive parish of Leigh.
Before the Romans came, this part of Lancashire was peopled by the Brigantes Tribes. The Romans conquered them and occupied the district, building through it with a road linking their camps in Wigan and Manchester. Traces of this road have come to light and its course can be plotted through the area of Mosley Common across Turncroft Lane, through the estate of Cleworth Hall and so on by way of Shakerley to Wigan.
The Romans were followed by the Saxons and then the Normans. That the Saxons peopled the area we know because of the local places – Atherton, Tyldesley and Astley – for example whose names end in “Ley” or “Ton”, a Saxon derivation meaning a forest clearing or settlement.
At the time of the Domesday Book, Tyldesley Manor was one of thirty four forming part of the Chief Manor of Warrington. The Manor was by the 13th Century held by Hugh, the son of Henry of Tyldesley and the demesnes lands remained in the same Tyldesley Family for many centuries.
Find Us at the Pelican Centre
This competition is being organised in partnership with Swim England North West